Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fall

10/16/12

Fall is one of the things that I'm finding I miss the most down here. 

There are a couple of things that I really love about fall at home. 

The first is of course the brisk mornings. There is almost nothing as enjoyable as going outside to a nice crisp morning. Even in California I would enjoy these kind of mornings from time to time. The air feels so clear and fresh, and if you're lucky, there are crunchy leaves to jump on!

I of course miss the colors too. One of my good friends is living in Montreal right now, and she took a weekend trip to the east coast of the US to see some of the amazing colors. She told me that now she finally got what I was talking about all of those years in college...those amazing colors! I am kind of used to not being home for the real show, but I still miss it. It's actually pretty strange being here right now, season wise. In many ways it feels like no time has passed. This is likely due to the fact that though it is a little cooler here than when I first arrived, it is still more than 80 or 90 degrees most days (I did pull out my blanket for at night though! Getting down to a chilly 79 degrees tonight)! I also think that because I'm so busy, time has really been flying by so it couldn't possibly be October! 

But regardless, I really do miss fall in the US. The other big thing that I'm missing is the seasonal flavor--pumpkin! 

Starbucks is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine, and their pumpkin spice frappucinos are my favorite!

(Google Images)

During college, a friend and I would go there all the time. It definitely is one of those things with no diminishing return on tastiness! 

(Google Images)

I love pumpkins. 

I love carving them.

(This is from a Halloween a couple years ago. My friend and I carved "Nightmare Before Christmas" themed pumpkins!) 

I love baking them.

(Google Images)

My friends and I loved making pumpkin pie at school, and it's something I always make with my grandparents when I am home! Definitely one of my favorite foods; among the best of all pies! 

I love eating them and their wonderful flavor.


(Google Images)

This is a bagel shop near my college that always had pumpkin bagels this time of the year! They always had really delicious food, but those bagels were my favorite! Pumpkin seeds are also delicious, if we are talking just pumpkin.

So I guess what I'm saying is: for those of you back home, enjoy the season! I am definitely missing it over here, and I am looking forward to being back in the US for future falls! 

(Google Images)

Oh! The craziest thing is that I checked my schedule, and I have class on Thanksgiving! It might still be an improvement on the year I was stuck in the dorms and ate out of a vending machine, but not by much! I think my friends and I will have to have a mock-Thanksgiving dinner, even if its main dish is chicken chow mein from Bob's Chinese Restaurant (which really is much more delicious than it sounds)!

Update: And the tropical storm has moved through! Sunny and tropical-like again, which is definitely a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment