Friday, October 5, 2012

Extras

10/05/12

Hi everyone!

I know I said I probably wasn't going to post before my exam, but this one will be short! A girl needs her study breaks and, quite surprisingly to me, I find this whole blogging thing to be quite therapeutic and relaxing. Anyways, today's post is going to be kind of a mixed bag, comments on a few different things. 

So first off, a lot of the lecturers here just seem like the nicest people and come to class every morning (even at 8am) with their sense of humor! It definitely makes class a lot more fun and keeps things interesting! I've always been interesting in collecting quotes. I'm not sure why really, I just find it really interesting to document what people are saying or thinking about. It helps me tie something specific (a great day, trip, life experience, etc) into my memory. So I'm going to post a few of my favorites below! (They might only be funny to a science nerd like myself, but I try!)

"I mean, we're all a bunch of mutants...but we're the surviving mutants!" 
-This is from my genetics/DNA/RNA/whatever-else professor talking about gene mutations. The number of mutations in DNA from parent to child is astronomical. All people share about 99.9% of their DNA, it's the little single nucleotide mutations that make us different! Blonde verses brunette, etc. On a slightly related note, did you know we share about 50% of our DNA with a banana? 


(Google Images)

The important thing was that our mutations are survivable.  Also, this lends credence to my dad's saying, "what a bunch of mutants." It also reminds me of Futurama. There's a little bit of mutant in all of us. 


(Google Images)

"It's important to understand how different a female is." 
-This one is from embryology, talking about the development of oocytes verses spermatids. He kind of laughed while he said it though, so I can't help but think he meant a little bit more than that!

"Everybody makes mistakes. I made one 23 years ago."
-Anatomy professor. This is from one of my favorite professors. He has done a few different lectures, but mostly is an anatomy guy. I really like his lectures as well, he's so clear and you can tell he really cares about what he is teaching you. He tries to make what we learn pertinent and accessible. This reminds me also of one of my childhood doctors. I think he was doing a spinal tap thing and he stuck the needle in without having the stuff in the needle put in. Apparently he swore really loudly (freaking out my mother to no end)...and later explained to her that it really wasn't a big deal, but the first mistake he had ever made. 
"I got married.[laughing] Can we edit that?"

"Enzymatic catalysis, like sex, requires intimate physical contact."

-This one is actually from my Biochemistry textbook, written by one of the professors here. He's an amazing teacher, very clear, well organized, and so willing to help outside of class, I really like him. His textbook is full of little jokes and quips like this one; it's definitely an incentive to pay attention to what you're reading! Plus it helps keep things light, which is always nice. 

The second topic I have for this post is food! As I've mentioned previously, it is really pretty easy to eat healthy here. Granted, you can't really have shopping lists when you go to one of the little local stores/stands or even the grocery store, but usually there are a bunch of options!



Today I needed to replenish my fruit supply! I broke out of my usual grocery-store pattern to try a little shack nearer to my apartment. Little watermelon (it's so little!), baby pineapple (it was delicious, had some this morning), bananas, and oranges (at least I think those green things are a special kind of orange). That's what they were labelled as at the bigger store, but it's hard to say with them. Most things don't have names or prices listed at all. This morning I made myself a fruit salad. 


Pineapple, bananas (I eat SO many bananas here! Which is probably a good thing thing, potassium! They are also really inexpensive. You can get probably 6 or 7 for a dollar. An EC dollar, so 1/3 of a US dollar), and frozen blackberries and blueberries. Frozen fruit isn't always my favorite, but I actually really like frozen blueberries with banana. So yummy! Plus I just read this article about "Good Mood Foods," so I've been trying to incorporate some into my diet. Healthy body, healthy mind! 

Good Mood Foods--Comfort Food is Real. I want to do well here and, for me, medical school has already been pretty effective at changing some of my behaviors about what I eat, what medicine I take, that sort of thing!

Next, on an unrelated note: I frequently have to walk home to my apartment in the dark. I could take the shuttle but I don't particularly want to wait when I can make the walk in 12 minutes if I move fairly quickly. I don't think it is too unsafe; there have been incidents with people walking alone, but I think I have a few things going for me, particularly my height and general athleticism. I try to avoid having to, but as it gets dark early here somedays there is nothing I can do about it. Regardless, this always (perhaps inappropriately, possibly because I'm usually coming from zumba or yoga if it's after dark) pops into my head when I'm walking (with a glass bottle clutched in my hand, in case I need to fend someone off!):


(Google Images)

He looks so young in this picture, oh my goodness. As much as I hate to admit it, Twilight is such a guilty pleasure of mine. Understand: I don't think the books are well written or even contain that fabulous of a story, but deep down I guess I think they're really romantic (though not like Buffy, let's be honest). To find someone you want to spend eternity with? All other stories suggest that living forever was really quite unpleasant, but Edward was just waiting for her. That's so sweet. This said, the movies are terrible as well but I still enjoy being part of them. And you know, Kristen Stewart (though! I just found out her film festival movie that I've been hearing about, On the Road? It's such a famous book but my mom just read it this summer. It sounds seriously terrible. It's really famous but for no reason I can begin to comprehend). The Twilight movie comes out late November, so should still be in theaters when I get home in December! Can you believe there is no movie theater here? I guess the craziest thing is no stoplights! On the entire island! Madness! :) 

Just another note: I know I've posted that I have been feeling a little burned out, which I am. (I actually just read an article on burn out, Burnout--NYT) Despite feeling tired of studying all day and all night and a bit homesick, I am trying to keep my nose to the grindstone (with breaks of course) for my exams Monday and Tuesday. Part of this is definitely from a few health problems I'm having right now. The mango tree outside my apartment opened up these pods that apparently I am quite allergic to. I have gone to the clinic and gotten some medicine so hopefully I will be on the mend soon!

Okay, I guess that wasn't all that short. Thanks for bearing with me! Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Nice quotes and the fruit look wonderful. Being close to the equator, you'll have long nights as it will always get dark early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite tasty! I haven't tried the little watermelon or the oranges though, I am so curious about them!
      It does get dark really early here! It's a little bit sad, in a way I almost don't notice. I spend the vast majority of my time in front of my computer or books. If I didn't peek out out my window occasionally (usually to see the sunset), I truly would never notice!

      Delete