Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekends

9/30/12

As far as my weekend routine, I could pretty much be at any institution in the United States (and possibly the world; really my routine is not unlike how I spent weekends in New Zealand either). It's really strange in medical school because the weeks are so busy, crammed with lab and small group learning and lots of lecture, and of course you know, studying, that you spend the whole time looking forward to the weekend, when you will actually have some time to get things done. But then, once it is the weekend, it's dreadfully boring. Wake up Saturday morning and there is truly nothing to do but study. All day long. I found out pretty quickly here that I had to break up my day with other things, so that's what I've been trying to do. Though I typically go grocery shopping on Friday afternoons, I took a walk down to campus and around for a bit, to stretch my legs and get a little exercise, and to get some water from campus. Though I have stores in my apartment, the water was a bit browner than usual so I wanted to fill up all my empty bottles with the supposedly filtered university water. Then got my study on for awhile. Yesterday I reviewed most of my week 3 lectures--epithelium, connective tissue, mendelian genetics, genetics II, some anatomy, and probably some other stuff that I am now forgetting. I was going to go to yoga in the morning...but it was pretty hot out so I decided to skip it. Or I'm just lazy, which is also definitely a possibility. At lunch I attempted to make an omelet, which was a failure but still a noble effort! Perhaps next time it will turn out better. More studying... and then zumba! It was the first time I went to a class taught by another first semester. The teacher was so nice, I really like her. Her dancing though is so difficult! She studied Tahitian dance so is a real expert at the booty shake...which is in just about all of her dances. Approximately 100 times. She also does a lot of hip hop moves...something in which I have no experience. Despite the fact I feel like a giant praying mantis flopping around, it was still pretty fun. And fortunately they put up tinted glass so the entire gym can't see us noodling around. Then more studying. I thought about watching a movie, but instead just watched a few episodes of Invader Zim, always enjoyable. 

Today was about as exciting. This morning though, I woke up and got all dressed up to have breakfast with my friends. One of my friends cooked, invited a few of us over, and we had breakfast over football. It was really nice to spend time just being normal people, having breakfast with friends...even if one of my friends had to bring up fertilization since we were having eggs. That aside, it was really fun and nice to have a chance to get all dressed up! I worked on my K-Stewart inspired eyes with a few pro-tips from one of my college friends. 
(Google Images)
It was really nice to get all dressed up and, shockingly, I even wore a skirt! For the first time since getting here! Breakfast was fun; only slightly eventful. When my friend went to put on the eggs...his propane for the stove ran out. Unlike in the US, there are not gauges on them at any kind, so suddenly you are done cooking! So instead we learned to make eggs in the microwave! Which was easier than one might think. After that I headed home to work on some lectures, today I worked on tackling my two hardest subjects, anatomy and embryology! After working on those (rotating from my bed, to the computer, to the couch, to outside, back to the couch, etc) stopped for lunch. 
I've been trying to eat really healthy here. Aside from not getting sick (which is devastating to a med student, we already feel like we are constantly behind), it seems really important to performing well on tests (and in life) to be really healthy! Got my Bolthouse farms carrots, some orange pepper, turkey sandwich (unfortunately the deli meat selection was quite limited this week, I had to settle for a turkey + ham mixed bag...I guess I will get creative with the ham! Historically it has not been my favorite), a Georgia peach, and mango juice. I don't drink pop anymore (despite the fact it is cheaper than water here!) so have been substituting juices instead! This one is a mango, passion fruit, orange mixture I think, pretty good! After that, back to the studying.
For dinner, I attempted to make fried rice. The rice didn't fry quite right...but fortunately, cooking experiments are my favorite type! We'll just call this Trial 1. 

And following that, back to embryology! (Speaking of which. So BMP-4 stimulates development of the lateral plate and epidermis in the embryo...and Noggin (and others) inhibit BMP activity, thereby stimulating development of the midbrain and forebrain. I wonder if that's a coincidence. I mean...NOGGIN? I'm just saying). I have one week of development to go through still (I am trying not to think about the eggs. Apparently they have red dots on them if they have been fertilized? Not going to think about it!) and then some anatomy. I have four lectures tomorrow (though a few are easier, ethics and wellness, and then a quiz for my honors thing. Not for my actual grade, but hopefully it goes well! Only a week left until the next round of exams! I'm going to be ready! 

On days like today, I really don't feel like I am far from home. I talked to my parents via skype, spent time cooking, talking to friends both here and online, and just lounging around my apartment. Not too different than any broke young adult! 
To finish up my day, there was a beautiful sunset. I never get tired of this view. I love the puffy clouds off to the right. 

Have a great week everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You think? The color looks right, but I think that's just from the sauce! Maybe I don't know what fried rice really tastes like, to me this just tasted like regular rice plus a little butter and vegetables. I'll keep working on it! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete