9/26/12
I wanted to take a post to tell you a little bit more about my classes (you know, since it's arguably the most important part of medical school). My school uses a type of block system. This semester consists of four blocks:
1) Fundamentals of Biomedical Science I
2) Musculoskeletal and Hematopoietic & Lymphoreticular Systems I
3) Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems I
4) Clinical and Competencies Skills I
Each block lasts approximately 3 weeks and knowledge from each is tested on an exam at the end of each block as well as a cumulative final exam at the end of the semester. The only exception to this is the Fundamentals block, which is what I am currently in. During this block we have two "mini" exams during the block, one of which I have completed, and the other which I have in a week from Monday. The spectrum of material covered in this block seems pretty broad; we typically have four hours of lecture per day and so far have covered everything from basic anatomy (hand, scapula (shoulder), brachial plexus (nerve/artery bundle near the armpit and shoulder)), genetics, cell biology, histology (basically the study of micro-anatomy of a cell), nervous tissue, embryology (weeks 1-4 of development), how to write a patient history, and general biochemistry. It definitely is busy, but I appreciate the switch between subjects. Especially as I've found that embryology and anatomy are the most challenging for me. Embryology is just something I've never studied, so there is a lot to simply memorize. The same goes for anatomy. Though I took anatomy in physiology in high school, there is just a massive amount of memorization-- where muscles start, attach, what they are innervated by, and what they do. In some areas, the memorization isn't so bad, but in others... there are many muscles. Below is an image of the forearm, which includes 19 muscles to memorize (just had this lecture and so far have 0/19 memorized, but that is a project for today. I've been working on the other giant stack of anatomy memorization I have...it just seems to take me a little longer than most people, but I am working through it). Fortunately, these muscles at least can be grouped by similar innervations and actions, but it is still quite a bit to do.
(Google Images)
Anatomy has definitely become my most difficult subject. In addition to just having two hours of anatomy lecture a week and having to memorize that material for each "mini" exam, we also have anatomy practical exams where we have to identify tagged items on the cadavers and answer questions based on those structures. In addition to my regular study regime (going over the day's lectures, making a study product, reviewing the material from the previous days, doing practice questions, and previewing for the next day's lectures), I have added an hour of anatomy review. Hopefully this will help me succeed on the next mini exam as well as the anatomy exam, the first of which is already coming up.
It's pretty remarkable that this post is as short as it is, that really is pretty much for school (and my life) right now. I had been having a terrific week so far: material that was mostly review, getting in my zumba, an honor council meeting, and the premiere of New Girl, but right now I'm just really looking forward to the weekend. Unfortunately I've been getting a little less sleep and there is just a lot of anatomy right now. The sleep issue will hopefully be resolved soon; I really do need to stick to that 8 hours.
(This is kind of an interesting article I saw a few days ago on that, 8 hours will keep you healthy and happy but really successful people sleep less? I guess I won't be in that group, have to work on a different way! http://www.businessinsider.com/americans-are-getting-too-much-sleep-2012-9).
I know some people can get by with less, but to be healthy and happy I really cannot! (Last night was kind of an exception; here we pre-pay for electricity and when you get below a certain amount the monitor in your apartment will beep. Mine found it necessary to beep at 3 or 4 in the morning today! I wasn't even that low! But I have purchased more to stock up, no more 3 AM wake up times!) Besides that I've been having a little trouble with some of my friendships both here and at home and am feeling just a bit homesick. But to the weekend!
And besides, there is always the new Big Bang Theory (season premiere) to look forward to tonight! Basically just have studying on the agenda this afternoon (no lab or small group learning this week) so I can can definitely schedule in a 30 minute break. I've never been so happy to get cable!
(Google Images)
Missing everyone from home!!


No comments:
Post a Comment