8/25/12
Okay! So these pictures are from one of my trips during orientation week. As part of a school sponsored "Island Tour," we took a bus down from Portsmouth (on the map, it's on the left part of the map, near the top of the island), where my school is located, to the largest city on the island, Rousseau. A little more south of Rosseau is Scott's Head. According to wikipedia, Scott's Head is a really small town with only about 720 residents. From the town, there is a strip of land extending generally southward. From this strip of land you can see the Atlantic Ocean on one side (the Atlantic is pretty wavy here and is generally considered unsafe to swim in) and the Caribbean Sea on the other side (fortunately my school is on this side, safe swimming right nearby).
(Google Images)
This picture is from the southernmost (approximately) tip of the Scott's Head peninsula. looking back at the mainland of Dominica. You can see the little town of Scott's Head, the Atlantic Ocean on the right, and the Caribbean Sea on the left. The Caribbean side is pretty characteristic because of it's brighter, more turquoise water.
Looking back on the island of Dominica from Scott's Head!
The rest of Dominica from Scott's Head. (This is one of those times that having panorama on my digital camera is pretty cool. I wish I could claim I picked it out because of that, but I think it's just pretty standard on newer cameras.)
Looking out over the Caribbean.
Once again from Scott's head. I liked this picture just because of how bright the Caribbean Sea looks. You can also see a bit of coral, the darker/grayish shaded patches in the Caribbean Side. We did do a little bit of snorkeling here. There wasn't the greatest variety of things to see, but we did see some pretty beautiful, and bright blue, fish! Unfortunately I don't have an underwater camera and for the first time ever (I think) google images has nothing to offer me. Anyways, there are numerous great snorkeling spots on Dominica and it is often considered one of the best places to snorkel and whale watch in the Eastern Caribbean! I am definitely looking forward to doing more of that while I'm here!
More from my orientation trips soon!
On an unrelated note, today I will have been away from home for an entire month! In a lot of ways it feels like it's been much much longer, but in some, summer, and home, still feels quite close!
New "New Girl" tonight! This show is such a guilty pleasure for me...and who doesn't need a 30 minute study break! I'll strategically plan my dinner time accordingly!
(Google Images)
Hope everyone at home is well! Missing you all!




No comments:
Post a Comment