9/29/12
(Got this idea from a friend by the way!)
Things I haven't done for about a month since coming to the island:
Things I haven't done for about a month since coming to the island:
- Taken a hot shower. While there is "temperature control," aka a hot water switch, the hottest shower I've taken here was when it was about 100 degrees outside, around midday. (I feel a little bit guilty about this point...after zumba today I hit the shower and it was almost warm! But maybe the coolness just felt better after the hike up to my apartment).
- Ran the AC in my apartment. Electricity is really expensive here! I tried the AC for a little bit my first day, but watching my meter actively run down was pretty sad. Usually it's not terrible up in my place in between the fan, cool showers, and the 3rd-floor-top-of-mountain breeze.
- Had real (dairy) milk. While there is some fresh milk here, cows don't undergo the same type of testing that (ideally) American ones would (including tests for TB, mad cow, etc), so it was recommended to me to stay away from the milk. So far I've been alternating between chocolate soy milk and chocolate almond milk...we'll see what the grocery store continues to have!
- Seen an airplane fly over.
- Drank tap water. Though the water is reportedly is safe to drink, I'd like to be on the safe side! I typically just fill up my water bottles on campus (supposedly filtered water) or boil water at my apartment. I do use the water for brushing my teeth and dishes and stuff though! I feel slightly validated--the last few days the water has been fairly on the brown side. I've heard when it rains the water tends to just get a little dirty, but campus still had (seemingly) clean water so it was all good! Plus, living in a less developed country 101: keep water on hand. I've got a few jugs stashed in my place in case the water goes out or something.
- Been to a mall/seen a clothing or retail store of any variety except a souvenir shack. There are several small food stands, groceries, including the larger grocery store I usually go to, but I have yet to see a store with clothes or purses or anything like that. Maybe if I go explore greater Portsmouth or if I head down to the city of Rousseau, the largest on the island.
- Driven a car. They do drive on the "wrong" side of the road here, and besides that, the roads are quite narrow and there are abnormally huge potholes all over. Some kids get mopeds but I think I'm good with walking. I have however snagged rides with security guards to and from campus, so I've still been in a car!
- Watched a movie. All of you back home know how much I love TV and movies...but I actually haven't taken the time to watch a movie here! Besides that, there is not a single movie theater on the island. Which actually seems pretty surprising to me...how did they see Pirates of the Caribbean before it was on DVD! It's so popular here! Photos of "Capt Jack Sparrow" are all over!
- Had any type of fast-food.
- Had a Hersheys product (I think anyways, they might own Cadbury...if so, then I guess I have. I haven't seen much in the way of true Hershey's but there is a lot of cheap Cadbury here, so at least I get my chocolate fix!).
- Watched the news on a TV. I do try and stay somewhat connected, but all online sources.
Things I do here that I wouldn't have expected:
- Eaten really good Chinese food. "Bob's Chinese Restaurant" is one of my friends' places to go (one of my friends would probably starve without it, he seems to always be there). It's really good and quite reasonably priced. I usually either get chicken fried rice or chow mein for $16 EC which is about $6 US.
- Danced! My school offers many PE type classes including zumba! I started doing zumba with my mom this summer and really loved it (more for the spending time with my mom aspect, but still). I'm so happy I can continue here! It is different and a bit more challenging here-- more hip hop moves, something I definitely don't have any background in!
- Having fast internet and cable, two things I don't have at home! It is nice to be able to keep up with New Girl and the Big Bang Theory.
I'm sure I'll think of more to put on here, but for now, that's all folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment