9/24/12
Being a medical student, I don't really have a lot of time to be running around out and about. For example, despite the fact my school is literally on the beach of the Caribbean Sea, I have actually only swam in it twice (and that is not entirely due to the fact I am slightly nervous about stepping on a sea urchin, which I've heard is exceedingly painful). Most days, my contact with the outside world includes running from the freshman classroom to the Shacks for lunch in the rain and then walking back up to my apartment. The great exception is really that my school offers a variety of PE type classes, including yoga! It is held on a seaside deck overlooking the ocean. Truly there was never a better place to do yoga and meditate. I have been going to yoga pretty typically once or twice a week. I have found the beginner's class to be a little unchallenging, so I think I will try going up a level. My school has also just added some more zumba classes though, and I really love doing that! They do have some other classes I will have to try...maybe when I find a way to have some free time!
The other big contact I have with the outside world is making dinner and looking out over my patio to see the sunset. The sun sets pretty early here, around 6:30PM right now, and always in a brilliant display of color. During my orientation week, I liked to eat outside on and enjoy the view. Now it's become more of a peek-out-from-my-desk activity while I'm studying (more on my apartment layout in a subsequent post), but it is always worth it. Below are a couple of my favorite shots from my first few weeks here!
One of the first views I was treated to here!
The sky was just spectacular.
Right before dusk. The night sky is the other truly amazing thing. Being so far away from any major cities the sky truly lights up at night. I wish I had some better pictures, maybe I will bring a slow speed camera down to the island on my next trip. From my apartment though, the bright stars and silvery clouds and just gorgeous!
A different night.
The clouds were super awesome this night, especially the billowy ones near the horizon.
Sunset on the Caribbean! Hard to complain about life here with a view like this!
I loved these clouds. Unfortunately my camera doesn't do the colors true justice, but every night it is spectacular.
Just last night!
I have no doubt that by the time I head home I will have a thousand or more sunset pictures alone! Admittedly I am always kind of bummed looking at these, they just don't show it like it really was. But as my professor and mentor in New Zealand said, "Pictures are just a tool to help you remember what it really looked like."

No comments:
Post a Comment