11/16/12
Now sunsets are something Dominica does incredibly well. The truth is I probably haven't seen one in a few days, possibly weeks, but these are some older photos I snapped earlier this year. Some nights I watch the sunset in the sliver of sky viewable from my desk chair but largely I'm wrapped up trying to learn something about the cardiac cycle and I don't see it. Perhaps I should take more time for that (I mean how often does someone from the US get to live in the Caribbean?!), but there are many things to do! In between studying, trying to keep up with friends, going to class, getting some sleep, and exercising there isn't a whole lot of time for things like sunset watching. Every great poet and writer ever would be disappointed. I guess they didn't go to medical school.
But that said, there are some things I really miss about the US.
1) Hot showers. OH MY GOSH what I wouldn't do for an actually hot shower.
2) Movie theaters. I love movies, I love TV, and I hate not being able to go see Breaking Dawn with my friends.
3) Bread pans. I have been completely unable to find any bread pans. Not that I would be able to bake anything in a propane oven, but there are so many bananas here! It doesn't seem right to not be able to make banana bread!
4) Steak and Shake.
5) All my friends and family.
6) Having a car. I haven't even ridden in one in weeks, since the hike I guess, but it is so nice to actually be able to drive home with your groceries. Granted, it's only a 15 to 20 minute walk, but it is very uphill. I guess it is good for me.
7) No cockroaches. I killed my third one last night. On the upside, I don't scream and chase them with a broom anymore.
8) Malls. Stores in general that have something other than food. I haven't even seen one since I've been here, how wild is that?
9) Eating meat. I'm a bit nervous about eating meat here, specifically beef and pork, that isn't from the US. No standards for health and safety makes me too nervous. Need some more protein in my diet!
10) Not needing bug spray and sunscreen on a daily basis. I have gotten quite tan here, but I don't think I view that as such a good thing.
Good thing I'm coming back! Twenty three days until I get home! Only twenty-three!
I have a lot to learn before then. Signing off, but hopefully more pictures soon! Need to get out and see more of this island!
But we get nice sunsets up here too--especially on Lake Michigan and Superior and this time of the year when it seems so red behind the bare trees. Hang in there! We'll see you soon.
ReplyDelete