Hello dear readers!
I apologize that it has been so long since my last post! I definitely got caught up in all the academics at the end of the semester, and boy was it crazy! In my last two weeks of school I had five exams. But at the end of the day, success! I am on to the next semester and halfway done with the classes part of medical school! 1/4 of the way through!
Before the break between the spring and summer terms I had planned on staying on the island. However, relatively last minute a good friend of mine invited me to his home state of Alabama for the break! I decided to go, despite my preconceptions of the South, and had the greatest time!
I stayed with a new friend but also spent much time with my friend from school. We had a great time doing all American things-- getting some good Southern BBQ, drinking copious amounts of sweet tea, driving around the countryside, hitting the beach, and watching some softball. It was definitely a very welcome break from the franticness of school. I felt so welcomed and cared for!
One thing I wanted to do down in Ala was try grits! I liked them better than oatmeal but I'm not sure I'd actively seek them out :)
Another very American thing we did was hit the range! I'm not too bad of a shot! I would hit a gatorade bottle cap! Not too shabby for my first time in years!
Random, but I actually don't believe I've had sushi before. Not really anyways. But my host brought a bunch, and I really liked it. So yummy!
Another thing I had never actually tried was fish tacos! I always maintained that fish did not belong in tacos, but I was so wrong! Tortillas, avocado, tilapia with some spicy sauce on it, jalapeƱo peppers, some cheese, and salsa? Amazing. I am sold.
We did get a little education in too! One day we drove down to Florida to visit the Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola. It was such a great place!! So many great planes!
I could recognize the Corsair! My dad would be so proud. I love the bent wings on them, such a cool design.
And of course we couldn't go to Florida without hitting the beach! Grayton beach was just gorgeous! We didn't actually swim but the sand felt like sugar and water was the perfect temperature! I want to go back immediately. :) I am also happy to report that on neither the drive down or the drive up did I see a Confederate flag. My mental picture of the south might not have been quite accurate!
Another thing we did was walk around Landmark park in the city where I was staying. Loved seeing the turtles.
Alabama seemed like a lot of open fields (even quite close to the cities which is wonderful! The perfect place for me someday I think... big hospitals and a pretty big downtown but 10 minutes outside the city is such open land and blue sky) but the park was quite dense and brilliantly green!
Of course, I couldn't leave without trying the famous boiled green peanuts. Pretty tasty even though I could practically feel my blood pressure rising!
I really had a great trip and a great time hanging out with my friends. I could definitely see myself spending some more time down there soon!
Until next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment