Monday, January 14, 2013

Busy as a Bee!

So, what's medical school really like? This will give you an idea. 


This is one side of my 3 page study guide from lectures today (and it was an easy day, only 2 and 1/2 hours of lecture material) covering the different spinal cord syndromes, which admittedly has been one of my favorite lectures. I study in three parts (well, four really, but three main ones). 

Step 1: The night before I make a study guide for the following day's lectures. This will hopefully turn into a long, comprehensive study guide for the whole semester. It basically summarizes the text in the lectures for the next day as well as some helpful graphics. 
Step 2: After lectures, I typically spend the afternoon making consolidated notes (yes, believe it or not, these are the "short" notes!). These are what I primarily use to review the material the material before exams and on weekends. 
Step 3: The third part is making online or written out notecards over the material so I can quiz myself. 

Of course none of these include reviewing my materials, doing practice problems, or quizzing myself over my notecards. Needless to say, I have become extremely busy. This week especially is tough; in addition to the usual four hours of lecture per day we have a few extra lectures, I have gross anatomy lab over the eye region, and then everyone has the muscles reflexes lab. We do have Friday off though! Whee! A little extra time to celebrating my upcoming birthday! :)

But this is med school--not all ocean views and mangoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment